Most children start to walk between 8 to 20 months of age. Sometimes their feet naturally turn inwards because of ligament stiffness and the strength of the muscles is still catching up to their physical development. This tends to improve as the bones in the feet grow and strengthen.
Infants wearing shoes
An infant who is learning to walk receives essential sensory information from the soles of their feet touching the ground. Soft sole baby shoes help protect children’s feet from injury and the cold and heat.
When toddlers learn to walk barefoot or while wearing soft-soled shoes, it helps improve their muscle strength and sensory development. When toddlers start to walk on their own, they can progress to a firmer soled shoe.
Have the shoes of your child fitted professionally, which should include measuring both feet for width and length. Children’s feet overgrow, and it is essential to check the size of the soft sole baby shoes, which might need to be updated every few months. Tight shoes can prevent healthy foot growth and may cause additional issues.
Suggestions while buying children’s shoes
Shoes for the toddler should ideally have:
– A lot of room for the toes
– A comfortable fit in width and length
– The front of the shoe should be wider than the heel to match the natural shape of the foot
– A flat sole – check that the sole can bend near the toe
– A flexible and protective sole – ideally a sole that will protect the toddler from uneven surfaces, sharp objects, and temperature changes
– Straps, laces or fasteners to prevent slipping or movement of the foot in the shoe
– A solid heel counter
– Expensive shoes don’t always prove to be better. Soft sole baby shoes are the perfect ones for infants.
Remember, every child develops differently. If you have any concerns about your child’s foot development, we recommend that you see your family doctor.